Aleda Patterson is an Arts Core school. The Arts embody and record human imagination, culture and history. The Arts allow individuals to communicate their thoughts and feelings in a variety of modes, giving them a more powerful repertoire for self-expression.
An education in the Arts contributes to both society and the lives of individuals as they gain skills in music, visual art, dance and drama. The literary arts are offered through language arts programming. The Arts open avenues for innovation and invention, as well as fostering respect for individual, cultural and aesthetic diversity.
Education in the Arts:
- Encourages an understanding of human experience both past and present
- Provides opportunities to respond to, create and present works of art
- Fosters an appreciation of multiple perspectives and solutions
- Builds intuition, problem solving and higher level thinking
- Allows individuals to make informed aesthetic judgments
- Provides opportunities for decision making where there are no standard answers
- Develops attributes of self-discipline, the collaborative spirit and perseverance
The Arts are essential to the core of a rich and meaningful education. They lead to interdisciplinary studies involving authentic connections across the disciplines.